Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Thing About Nerds

Although I crave the pressure and work that only school can bring, I'm not exactly crazy about it. Thing is, I like school but I don't like studying. It doesn't help that I'm doing better than others in school, because it gives others the impression that I love to study, which I don't. (Does anyone?) I don't mind really, but when people start stereotyping me, then I do mind.

I used to be really sensitive when people called me a nerd. I know it's not really bad to be called one, but being compared to the real geeky people is just not my thing. I'm not the type to study all day and all night like most "nerds" I know, but just because I'm not the athletic type and I'm an introvert, others have the impression that I'm a secluded, weird kid who doesn't care about society. I do! I just don't tell everyone about it. What's so wrong with that?

Things began to change when I came to AJSS. Before it began, I anticipated it to be something of a "nerd club". I already painted a mental image of it actually--people in thick horn-rimmed glasses, poring over books thicker than an Advanced Calculus book, talking in snotty monotone voices. Thus, on the first day of AJSS, I got the shock of my life! Not only were these people un-geeky, they were--heaven forbid it--cool!

Eventually, I began to think twice about being all touchy about the subject. I mean, what's wrong with being a nerd? There's nothing to be ashamed of, really. In fact, it's actually a good thing, being a nerd. Think of all the people who will look up at me one day to say, "Help me, O Great and Powerful Thinker!" Well, okay, not really. Not even in my wildest dreams. Now that I think about it though, that's kind of an advantage to being a nerd. I get the attention that "cool" people get, but even better--I get to help others out!

Some time after this startling inner revelation, I began to accept my "nerdiness". No, I didn"t have to brave a bunch of big, bad bullies to defend my race; nor did I face an entire crowd to deliver a speech to protect all nerds. All I did was accept who I am, and that, my friend, is the most valuable accomplishment I have ever achieved--but of course, that's only until I get my Noble Prize for discovering the cure for the common cold.

1 comment:

Charmie said...

hello!